Wednesday 2 December 2015

My initial ideas for Historical and Contemporary

Hair Styling

I believe my chosen era is 80's I love this era because I have seen lots of pictures of my mum and how she used to wear her hair and make up. I also loved how bright and garish it was. They tended to have extreme middle partings or no partings and the hair just pushed back. Long fringes were very popular and they used to cover the face quite a bit. For men they liked to 'keep the hair long and had it flicked or curled away from the face. The mullet hairstyle was also very popular, made famous from music stars such as Billy Ray Cyrus. Men as well as women favoured the scarf's to put in their hair as accessories. 

I will look into using extreme partings and scarf's for my look, using bright colours preferably so I can coordinate the make up to have complete images. 

My mum in the 80's

HISTORICAL

Here are some of the sketches I have done of hair styles for the historical section of the assessment.


This is my favourite look out of the 5 and probably the one I will create. This one I have designed looks the most 80's to me. I would create it with setting the wig in rollers and steaming it. I would then brush it out when it's dry and back comb it to create a bigger more voluminous style. I would have it already set in a side parting and then I would pin the curls over to the side. Then taking a layer from the side quiff at the front pull it over to create a thin fringe.


This one I would create by wrapping the hair around a pencil and then steaming it, but I wouldn't wrap them tightly to create more of a loose wave. I then put rollers in the front of the hair to create a high voluminous fringe. Then back combed and sprayed it into a manipulated position. 

This style I would plait the hair and steam it. Once it was dry I would undo it and then take small section and make a high pony tail on top of the hair. I would then place a bow in the front to finish the look.

This one is a simple look where it is a side pony tail but I would create a fringe which would be thin, I would use a scrunchie to finish the pony tail off.




This look is very simple, it would be set with tiny little rollers and steamed to create ringlets in a a sidewards formation. This would then, make more curl and less volume which would be what i wanted. I would then back comb at the root for extra volume and make a very thin fringe (this section would be kept separate for the curl and I would probably set this with gel.





http://www.liketotally80s.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/madonna-desperately-seeking-susan.jpg

https://sgrumbleoutloud.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/80s-fashion-madonna-pictures.jpg

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/668/12817/3682957_1_l.jpg





Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyV9m9C5P4o

I have had a look at Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan and I think it's a great example and inspiration for my 80's hairstyle. Not being from the 80's I would find it hard to say what is historically correct but from what I have researched it is pretty clear that it is resembles the 80's image perceived in history. 



CONTEMPORARY


This is very similar to the my chosen historical design but it is a very contemporary version with the frizz technique and the bow being made of hair. I really like this one and I think it would possibly be my chosen one.


This my second contemporary look and my least favourite, I do believe 80's contemporary is hard to do without perhaps using crimper's but as it was an acrylic wig I wouldn't be able to use heat on it. So I would have to create this with pins and perhaps do a frizzing technique and not pull the zig zag shape out completely during styling.

(https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/marcjacobsap_450x300.jpg)

(http://a5.files.fashionista.com/image/upload/c_fit,cs_srgb,dpr_1.0,q_80,w_620/MTIwOTI1NTUzMTUzODY0NzM0.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment